I am so fucking tired of winter.
An entire February of cold, grey, depressing days, not even broken up by any real snowfall, has exhausted my patience with winter. Start up the daffodils and robins already, because I am so done with all this wintery shit.
So much so, I went out of my way to cook something without local, seasonal ingredients and instead bought two of my favorite spring vegetables — snow peas and asparagus — from FreshDirect to make this:
I call it Hurry The Fuck Up Already Springtime Pasta.
Not an especially inspired name, but it gets the point across.
– 1 bunch (~ 1 pound) asparagus, cut into 0.5 to 1.0 inch lengths
– 8 ounces snow peas, tips snapped off
– 16 ounces campanelle pasta
– 6 ounces cured ham, diced (I used bauernschinken)
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 0.5 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta according to package directions. (While you wait, feel free to eat the extra two ounces of ham you have left from buying a half pound of it. I know I did.) In the last four minutes of cooking, add the asparagus, then add the snow peas in the last two minutes.
2. Drain the pasta and vegetables (reserving a cup of cooking water) and transfer to a serving bowl. Toss with the olive oil, ham, and Parmesan. Add more oil and/or loosen with reserves pasta water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve right away.
Addendum to parents: If you want your kid to eat this, tell them about asparagus’s fragrant aftereffects, and that the same chemical compound is found in rotten eggs, onions, garlic, and skunk spray. Also, prepare to be asked did you have a stinky pee?! five or six thousand times in the next 24 hours.